Makeup changes the look of a woman. It’s a confidence booster, gives a flawless look, and enhances skin glow. However, whether applying makeup to oneself or another, many aspects must be taken into account. Maintaining personal cleanliness while using makeup is the most crucial consideration.
Keeping a clean and sanitized makeup kit is one of the requirements of owning makeup products & tools. As a makeup artist, you should ensure that your entire range of makeup products is disinfected from time to time. When used on the skin, dirty makeup brushes, sponges, or puffs will encourage the growth of bacteria and may cause infections or allergic responses. To maintain your makeup supplies hygienic and clean, look over our list of advice:
1. Use disposable makeup applicators: One of the greatest practices a makeup artist should adhere to is the use of disposable makeup applicators and brushes. To maintain the cleanliness of the cosmetic equipment and services, use disposable brushes, sponges, cotton swabs, tissues, and cotton pads. There are many disposable cosmetic applicators in the market right now. These include disposable lip brushes, disposable spatulas, disposable mascara wands, and disposable eyeliner brushes. Disposable makeup brushes are not only utilized for hygienic reasons, but they also allow for flawless makeup application.
2. Always have a trash bag handy: Always keep a trash bag handy while applying makeup on your clients. Keeping the trash bag handy will help you dispose of cotton balls, tissues, disposable spatulas, etc. in one place and will help avoid mess during the service. This will also ensure that the surrounding remains clean and tidy.
3. Keep makeup brushes clean: Wash your makeup brushes immediately after service and let the brushes dry completely. You can either use water or spray brush cleanser to clean the makeup brushes. Cleaning makeup brushes not only keeps bacteria at bay, but also keeps makeup stains, dead skin cells, and germs at bay.
4. Do not apply makeup directly from the product: Every makeup artist should adhere to this piece of hygiene advice. Never apply the product to your client straight from the container. Use a separate spatula or brush to remove the necessary quantity of the product from a makeup palette. Then use various cosmetic applicators to apply it to your client. By doing so, cross-contamination will be avoided and the products’ overall level of hygiene will be preserved.
5. Verify the expiration date of cosmetic items: Verifying the expiration date of makeup products is a crucial consideration for maintaining a makeup kit. Every makeup kit or item has an expiration date. Some products have a longer shelf life, while others have a shorter use-by date. So make sure to keep an eye on the products’ expiration dates and swap out any that are past their prime with new ones as needed.
6. Avoid using hands for cleaning makeup tools: Last but not least important makeup kit hygiene tip is not to use your hands to clean makeup tools. Always use a tissue or a cotton pad to clean brushes or applicators. In case, the makeup applicators need wet cleaning, use wet wipes, cleaning spray, or lukewarm water. This will keep your makeup kit germ free.
To keep any makeup item germ-free, it must be stored at the proper temperature. A makeup artist should maintain their makeup equipment according to best practices. Breaking the sanitization and cleanliness rules can have negative effects.